Saturday 28 October 2017

The Truth About Alice- Jennifer Mathieu Review

Hello all, 

Today I'm reviewing a book that I went in with high expectations and soon found myself doubting the YouTubers who recommended it. More to follow: 

The Truth About Alice by Jennifer Mathieu

Winner of the Children's Choice Book Awards' Teen Choice Debut Author Award
Everyone knows Alice slept with two guys at one party. When Healy High star quarterback Brandon Fitzsimmons dies in a car crash, it was because he was sexting with Alice. Ask anybody.
Rumor has it Alice Franklin is a slut. It's written all over the "slut stall" in the girls' bathroom: "Alice had sex in exchange for math test answers" and "Alice got an abortion last semester." After Brandon dies, the rumors start to spiral out of control. In this remarkable debut novel, four Healy High students tell all they "know" about Alice-and in doing so reveal their own secrets and motivations, painting a raw look at the realities of teen life. But in this novel from Jennifer Mathieu, exactly what is the truth about Alice? In the end there's only one person to ask: Alice herself.
This title has Common Core connections.

4/5 Stars

I'm not sure if I went into this book thinking it would be more than what it was. It was artistic and it felt like it could have been taken out of the minds of a group of American teenagers. Only I didn't find myself understanding where the story arc was or how this would proceed. I kept waiting for the moment to hit me. I felt like we were climbing the hill and then got that 'ah' moment. I was left feeling disappointed however the book kept the four stars due to its easy read and relatable characters. I would have loved to see this book do more. I would love to know your thoughts. 

CLICK HERE FOR AMAZON UK
CLICK HERE FOR AMAZON US
CLICK HERE FOR GOODREADS 

Thank you for stopping by. 

Kristal 

No comments:

Post a Comment